The first six levels truly are for newbies. They are designed to teach, via assimilation, how to play the game: how to move, how to fight, how to use your bag, how to train, how to quest, how to explore and how to have fun whilst doing all these things. New to just about everything, I found them invaluable. The first time I logged in was as a night-elf druid in Shadowglen. It was nerve wracking. I admit to suffering from a little stage fright until I realized that I wasn't on stage.
There's a time and place for everything in Wow and the start-up areas are generally secluded villages surrounded by high mountains that instantly illicit a warm and fuzzy feeling. It's a safe and very forgiving place with very few gawkers. It took about 2-3 hours of interrupted game time the first time to get to level 6. I was keen to log out often and despite a voice over from Chris sitting next to me on where to go and what to do, it remained a stressful event. I was new and everybody could tell. It felt as if the world was staring at me. Only, it wasn't. Mostly, there were only NPC's.
My second start-up was a Gnome Rogue beginning in Coldridge Valley. It took about 45 minutes to level through to six. The dwarf paladin came next and since it was also in Coldridge Valley, it was a mere 30 minutes to reach level 6. I still enjoy spending the occasional 45 minutes leveling up a new character. There is a sense of security to be had from the definite familiarity of repeating the same process regularly.
First there's the start-up video - gotta watch the video. I first shuffle my keys so that all similar buttons for different characters are in the same spaces. Attack in the middle, intro spells on the right and finishing spells on the left. I pick up the first couple of quests - usually kill quests right next to where you're standing and take out 50 - 100% more than the quest requires.
Around level 3-4 there's usually a delivery quest to somewhere else in the valley. I take it and pick up any quests offered along the way. As I go along, I equip any loot or quest reward items that is superior to what I have as well as all and any bags. There's also a 'find your trainer' quest thrown in around level 4. If you loot and sell stuff to vendors from the get go, you will have plenty of money to pay for any training by the time you reach your trainer at level 4.
The last quest of the start-up valley is usually a group / 'dungeon' quest. By this point, if you've killed a little more than was asked you're already at level six and can with a little care solo the group quest within a few minutes. As soon as the quest is finished I hearth-stone out.
At level six, I find a repair person where I repair all gear and sell all junk, I visit my class trainer for the last time and learn all spells up to level six. It is time to say goodbye to the safe little valley that now feels like home but will soon be forgotten. If you're sentimental, take a screen shot as a souvenir, it will be a long time - if ever - until you lay eyes on this little town again and begin the long and winding road to the nearest town. Either in the start-up valley or along the way, there will be delivery quests directing you toward the town and there's usually at least one - such as stealing ten pumpkins if you're undead or fighting through the pass if you're a dwarf or a gnome - that allows you to collect additional xp. Take it. Take it all. By the time you reach the town, you'll be level six and three quarters.
On reaching the town, have a quick run around. Talk to all vendors, find any trainers and finally make your way to the inn. Set your hearthstone to the inn here and settle in, you're done.
No comments:
Post a Comment