Guild chat provides most definitely an endless source of amusement. It serves as a reminder as to why I never did work well with large numbers of people. I simply do not possess the patience to explain the smallest things an infinite number of times. My first guidance counsellor thought I would make and excellent teacher, but at the age of 13 I already knew better. It was never a question of ability or capability, but one of pleasure and satisfaction. Or rather, unpleasantness and dissatisfaction.
I spent the last hour with half an eye on the guild chat. Today a competition is starting where any character below level 20 can enter to win a mount. All the person has to do is go to the guild website, sign in, enter their suitable character, and the first to hit level 40 of the ones who had entered win. Right. However, misunderstanding and misconception abounds. Some seem to think that a draw is taking place and are demanding to know who won, whilst others can't figure out how to enter. The basic idea that a mount is at stake has spread like wildfire, but not much else has. And so the chatter continues in an endless loop of questions and answers, more questions and less answers and more answers and less questions to an sum total of mass confusion.
I have always received my information from reliable sources and the grapevine is notoriously unreliable and only good for gossip and playing devil's advocate. Don't get me wrong, I have learned how to keep an ear to the ground and there's plenty of chit-chat that's truly interesting to eavesdrop on. I have not quite learned how to not seem mean or derrogatory. I also haven't quite learned how to be adequately social. This leaves me in an ambiguous position. I may stand, or sit, and watch the confused discourse with a sense of both amusement and frustration, but I can't jump in. Or rather, I choose not to. There are plenty of guild leaders already involved in the discussion and adding my two cents will simply confuse the matter even further.
I recall countless times as a student and whilst at school being thrust into positions of leadership and power simply because I was both able and capable. I never did accept that offer. I was happy to give advice to whoever was in charge, and that person was usually a close friend, but I stayed out of the spotlight. Why? Because it's a lose-lose situation. In the background, the guild chat is still going strong and the confusion has not lessened. Who in their right minds would want to be the one-eyed king?
No comments:
Post a Comment