It's the social component of Warcraft that I find most difficult. Assertiveness is not taught in schools and although I have picked up quite a few assertive skills over the years, saying no is not quite one of them. I have no problem saying no to people, I am simply not in the habit of doing so. Years of feeling that magnanimity should come first has left me with a compulsion to make excuses. I feel as if I should explain myself when I decline a duel or an offer to group up, and I really don't need to.
I enjoy helping out other people, particularly when I have a little time to kill, but I'm not in the business of playing fairy godmother. I will group up occasionally at random and I will except the odd duel, but neither is my thing. I prefer to solo or duo with Chris and anything else is just additional stress. I keep forgetting that that's okay. I don't have to help everybody that asks and I certainly don't have to provide them with the reasoning behind my decision. No would suffice.
We live in an era of too much information and I keep forgetting that I am allowed to simply say, "Thanks for the invite, but no, I'm not interested." I think I'm even allowed to just say no.
No comments:
Post a Comment