After a warcraft hiatus, courtesy of a lost internet connection whilst moving house, I am back on-line and logged in again. Not playing for a short while has raised the question of 'why play?' for me again. Preferring uber efficiency in most things, I can't help wondering if playing an on-line computer game really is the best use of my time.
I play for the same reasons that I play the piano and have a large book collection. I enjoy playing as I enjoy playing the piano and reading. I also learn useful skills that I otherwise would not have had. Playing the piano requires a certain level of dedication. If you can't play regularly, you can't play. Learning a piece takes time and effort and retaining the skill to retain the ability to play that piece also requires time and effort. Use it or loose it and I like using it. I enjoy the process and I enjoy the end result and so I play. The same applies to Warcraft. I enjoy the process and I enjoy the end result of playing. There is an inherent satisfaction to setting a goal and then achieving it. There is also an inherent satisfaction in doing something that's fun. I never thought I would be one of those people who find playing a computer game fun, but I guess that I am.
Why play? Because I enjoy doing so and find it to be a positive experience.
No comments:
Post a Comment