Saturday, 12 July 2008

PVP vs PVE

I have finally hit 70 with my main main and find that the question foremost in my mind has been which way to gear and spec. I have always maintained that I prefer spending my talent point whilst levelling with leveling in mind and would respec for 70 at 70. As with most things warcraft, the decision of gear and spec depends on the choice of PVP, PVE or at least how both. I am still undecided.

I find myself pondering on the nature of PVP and PVE. For me, it's not so much about facing a person as an opponent or an NPC. Rather, it's about how the game is played. PVE has it's place for soloing via some daily quest as well as grinding. It has space for small group play via instances and large group play via raids. I think I have given up all thoughts of raiding except for the occasional moment of wild fantansy. Raiding simply requires too much mutual dependence. I am dependent on others and they depend on me. I can't see myself quitting in the middle of a raid because in my excitement I hit a key too hard and dislocated a finger. For that matter, I can't see myself leaving an instance group a member short because I am too unreliable to be relied upon. I am enjoying some of the daily quests, but suspect that they will become tedious very quickly. I do enjoy farming, but farming alone does not wet the appetite for warcraft.

PVP is most definitely player versus player. I am hesistant to engage in battlegrounds for the same reasons I am hesitant to commit to raid or instance groups. However, I can see myself stretching to try my hand at it a little. The arena does hold a definite pull, probably the strongest. It's short and brutal, a nice contrast to an afternoon spent fishing and farming. It's short and in a 2v2, of which my other would be the other half, there is no real issue of leaving someone, other than him, in the lurch. And he's gotten used to my quirkiness over the years and will be teaming up knowing very well what he's signing up for.

The next step is to gear up and spec for solo PVE and arena PVP, but first I need to research resilience rating and finish levelling up my professions. I didn't quite realise how much work happens after you hit 70 and before you're ready to truly play at 70. And no, farming and daily cooking quests does not count as real play, it's more play play.

No comments: