Sunday, 3 August 2008

The Bartle Test of gaming personality

The Bartle Test of gaming personality is one of the largest ongoing surveys within the gaming population. The test consists of 30 questions and unfortunately each has only two possible answers and you must choose one. The test rates your play style in relation to four categories:

  • Achievers: those with exalted rep with every faction immediately comes to mind
  • Explorers: Obsessive 'map fillers' who must have their map fully filled in for each area comes to mind...
  • Socializers: the guildies that live in the cities and are always in the general chat, trade channel and/or guild chat whilst also having a few whispered private chats going simultaneously...
  • The Killers: 'For the Horde/Alliance!' comes to mind, as well as hardcore raiding and high personal arena ratings.
Personally, I have difficulty identifying with most of the above. I don't see the lure of achievement solely for the purpose of achievement. I'm rep grind the minimum for the maximum rewards, I quest the minimum for the required level of xp and see no point in pursuing any title or related accolades.

I dislike the running and riding required throughout the game. To the effect that battlegrounds and arenas look appealing simply for ability to portal. I tend to stick as close to base as I can and play in areas where the killing grounds are in close proximity to the inn. Surely that makes me an anti-explorer?

I mostly solo'd to level 70 and after six months of playing, grouped up with an unknown player the first time - yesterday. I used the general chat for the first time today, to type 'gas cloud @... (fill in coords)' and have never used the trade channel. I've never bought enchants or a jewel cut, haven't been really involved in any guild and so I'd say it's fair to exclude this category too.

As for the Killers byline, I have a wopping 0 honor kills on all my characters. I detest ganking and can't see myself ever raiding. And where does that leave me?

According to the test: 67% Explorer, 60% Achiever, 47% Killer and 25% Socializer.

I guess I do know my way around Azeroth without making use of coords or maps (and that kind of knowledge comes with experience).

I do pride myself on progression and enjoy reaching sensible goals. I have exalted rep with Darnassus, The Scryers and Shattered Sun Offensive and have maxed out 4 professions to date.

I have killed my fair share of NPCs and are itching to get into PvP.

I am also starting to feel the lack of social contact. It may be nice to play a little more with others. I can definitely see the appeal of grouping up in a Battleground or for a pvp quest. I guess the questionnaire isn't completely far out... Besides, doesnt everybody enjoy a little bit of everything?

To take the questionnaire yourself, go to http://www.gamerdna.com/bartle.php

No comments: