Due to internet connection issues, I have been off-line for the best part of 96 hours pre-empted by a dodgy connection for the last 7 - 10 days. Unreliable internet access is frustrating, the fact that reacquisition of net access requires you to have net access is infuriating and no net access inspires madness.
I dug out an old copy of Catcher in the Rye on Sunday afternoon and made myself comfortable in the sun on the couch. Reading a book has always been a good way to spend a sunny Sunday afternoon. One would think that co-ownership of a 2000+ book library would always provide something to read. Unfortunately, the general problem is not that there isn't a book in the house I haven't read. The problem is first that there isn't a book in the house that I haven't read that I am in the mood to read on a sunny afternoon. I simply do not feel like applying myself when the theme is lazing on a sunny afternoon. The second problem is of course that I want to be on-line.
I need to be on-line. Not that I spend that much time on-line on a normal day, but I have things to do that require a net connection. I started to read Catcher in the Rye, but I have read it and after a few pages just didn't feel like reading it again right now. I picked up my copy of 1632, but to truly enjoy the book I need a working knowledge of the 100 year war. So I found myself in our library looking for a book on the 100 year war. We didn't have one. I then relented and thought a little modern poetry might be just the thing. I opened up my anthology, but reading poetry without a net connection is not fun at all. There is no easy referencing, no background information, no on-line discussion forums - I am on my own. That makes poetry not that much fun to read. I tuned by guitar, but then remembered that I haven't gotten around to downloading a few pieces of sheet music to play. I sat down at the piano and was reminded that I haven't gotten any additional sheet music for it either.
I discard my hobbies and turn to work again. I'm currently writing a chapter on common misdiagnosis and I simply do not know the diagnostic criteria and differential diagnosis of half a dozen conditions off the top of my head. I usually write the first draft without any referencing. However, I usually spend an hour surfing the internet on whatever given topic I am about to cover to bring myself up to speed with what's already written on the topic. I would prefer not reinventing the wheel, I would also prefer to give credit where credit is due if someone else has already expressed my point of view. I also like to have a sense of what different sites have to say on the topic. It's impossible to do so without a net connection.
To say nothing about the fact that I have not been able to play Warcraft for what feels like an eternity. It made me realize just how much it spirits me away from the difficulties and dreariness of life outside the internet. I play less than 20 hours a week. That said, the fact that I have played that hour or two today allows me to concentrate and focus more efficiently on the other things that require doing. Somehow, it's as much about having access whenever I want to have access, as it is about having a sense of security. When life gets a little dreary and frustrating, I can go kill things, skin things, make a hat and feel that much better.
No comments:
Post a Comment