Sunday, 9 March 2008

Leveling Professions whilst leveling up

I'm one of those people who love the professions in World of Warcraft. I find them useful, helpful and fun to level up. I enjoy fishing on a pretty shore whilst sipping on a hot cup of tea. I think the cooked food buffs are cheap and easy to come by and hence enjoy cooking. I have found that bandages comes in useful even for healers - there is always a time when you're both out of mana and health and 7 second bandages is a better alternative to 24 second food. Or maybe I just have a gathering personality. I'm not a collector or 'horder' in real life, but I think I may have been if I could find the energy, time and money to do so. Needless to say, I'm quite happy collecting things in Warcraft instead. It doesn't take much time, energy or money.

Professions are important. The secondary professions provide easy ways to markedly increase both stamina and spirit and the primary professions are great ways for fitting out characters, providing additional buffs and making money. Making your own gear also saves money on things you would have to purchase if you couldn't make it. Sold yet on leveling up all your professions?

I dislike going back to level up anything. The game is for the most part set up to provide all the material you need to keep your professions up to date without doing much additional work. The cloth required for first aid and/or tailoring are drops from humanoids of a similar level. The leather obtained from skinning is the same as that required for leatherworking at the same level.
And so on. So far, I have found that if I keep all my professions up to the same level as I am, I hardly need to do any additional grinding or farming. What are the levels? That's the easy part:
  • Level 5 - Skill level 1
  • Level 10 - Skill level 50
  • Level 15 - Skill level 88
  • Level 20 - Skill level 125
  • Level 25 - Skill level 150
  • Level 30 - Skill level 175
  • Level 35 - Skill level 200
  • Level 40 - Skill level 225
  • Level 45 - Skill level 250
  • Level 50 - Skill level 275
  • Level 55 - Skill level 300
  • Level 60 - Skill level 325
  • Level 65 - Skill level 350
  • Level 70 - Skill level 375
Practically speaking, all that is required from level 20 upwards is to make sure that with every level you go up, each profession also goes up by 5 points. That's really not all that difficult. The problem is that once you fall behind, you stay behind unless you catch up. Don't fall behind when it's so easy not to.

No comments: