Sunday, 27 July 2008

Jewelcrafting 300

My level 41 hunter has just reached JC 300. Yay! Now there's a steep levelling curve to catch up so that I can take her to Shatt at level 50 in order to expander her knowledge some more. It was the professions that originally drew me into Warcraft. Levelling alchemy and herbalism with my first character was easy. Levelling skinning and leatherworking with my second was not much harder, except for the dozens of 'drums of battle' I had to craft at the end.

Advising my husband on how to level two crafting professions (tailoring and enchanting) has been hard. Although enchanting sort of has its own 'gathering' profession via disenchanting and tailoring too - since humanoids drop cloth - it is still a difficult level. Tailoring is now at 360 and enchanting somewhere in the vicinity of 335 and it's still an arduous and expensive endeavour. But the rewards have been worth it - enchants available at a button for my numerous alts and 16-slot bags from level 1.

Next I took on Blacksmithing and specialised as a weaponsmith. Although I paired it with mining, my level 41 pally weaponsmith is currently stuck at 250 making copious sets of mithril spurs and will probably continue to do so until they grey out at level 275.

Jewelcrafting has been remarkably easy to level. I initially coupled it with mining as well and was able to craft up to level 125 or so without requiring mats from the AH. From 125 to 250 I actually made a profit crafting mostly blue items and then thorium settings. From 250 to 300 wasn't difficult or extremely expensive, but each point cost around 3 gold to level. I'm hoping that from 300 upwards as cutting becomes a possibility, crafting will return to be either a neutral or profitable venture.

My level 15 mage has picked up engineering and up to level 165, where she is now, it's been an inexpensive breeze. I feel as if my initial enthusiasm is returning. Crafting was suppose to be profitable, then it turned into a money sink and now that I feel more confident in my knowledge of both the game and the AH, leveling a profession is just about revenue neutral to the top and then it makes money. Can't wait for Wrath and Inscription.

No comments: